DELTA Module Two
Developing Professional Practice
This module focuses on developing awareness and expertise in the principles and professional practice of teaching English in a range of contexts.
Module Two Overall Aims
This module focuses on the principles and practice of planning. Topics include:
To achieve these aims, candidates need to:
- research selected language/skills areas and focus on problems and solutions for learners
- apply their knowledge and understanding of factors affecting learning and teaching to their practice
- plan, teach and evaluate lessons which meet the needs of specific groups of learners and individuals within the groups
- use a range of resources and materials, and teaching and learning strategies which are appropriate to learner needs and context
- constructively evaluate their own teaching and engage in Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Module Two Assessment
Module Two is assessed via a portfolio of coursework, including background essays, observed lessons, and a professional development assignment. One assignment, which includes a background essay, an observed lesson and a lesson evaluation, is externally assessed.
Module Two assessment involves participation in a Delta Module Two course at an approved Cambridge English centre.
- Internal assessment:
- Coursework record:
- The coursework grade:
- External assessment:
Three of the Language Systems/Skills Assignments are internally assessed by Delta course tutors at the centre. For each assignment, centres give two grades, one for the background essay and one for the lesson.
The Professional Development Assignment (PDA) is also internally assessed.
During the course, tutors log details of all the internal coursework in the Coursework Record (Delta 5c), which is completed for each candidate. At the end of the course, the tutors complete a report summarising the candidate’s progress over the course and give a recommended overall coursework grade for the internal coursework.
The coursework grade indicates the overall standard attained by the end of the course. The grade should be consistent with the comments in the coursework report and the feedback and grades given for the internally assessed Language Systems and Skills Assignments.
One of the Language Systems or Skills Assignments (a background essay and a lesson) is externally assessed by a Cambridge English approved external assessor. Assessment of the lesson includes the candidate’s evaluation of the lesson, which is sent to the assessor by the centre within 48 hours of the external assessment.
The assessor completes an assessment form (Delta 5a), which includes grades for the background essay and the lesson plus evaluation. The essay and lesson plan are submitted with the form.
For DELTA, you need to:
- Be at least twenty-one years old.
- Have a previous English teaching certificate. For example: a CELTA certificate.
- Have at least one year of professional teaching experience.
- Having a good understanding of the English language.
And an additional requirement specifically for Module Two:
- In Module Two, it’s required to attend the DELTA course in an authorized center for the teaching practice, as you’ll be assessed directly.