Entering the job market without a degree can be nerve-wracking. Although not everything relies on a college education. But, how about the CELTA; can you take a CELTA course without a degree?
CELTA Entry Requirements
The CELTA course is available for those who have a college education and those who don’t alike. However, there are essential criteria that you need to pass to be eligible. These criteria are:
- You have to be 18 or older.
- You have to have finished your secondary education.
- You have to be fluent in English.
- The CELTA course doesn’t require you to be a native speaker, but you need to have a C1 level or IELTS Band 7.
- You’re not likely to be asked to show your certificate, but you might be tested on your English skills during the interview.
- The most critical requirement is being passionate about teaching English.
No Degree, can I become a teacher with just CELTA?
Absolutely! You’re most likely to be judged on how well you teach and how much you love teaching, not to mention that CELTA is a very trustworthy certificate, and your life experience will help you throughout.
How To Get Pre-CELTA Teaching Experience Fast
There’s plenty you could do to gain experience. It’s much easier than you think to be a CELTA certified teacher. For example:
- Volunteering: You could get a lot of teaching experience from volunteering, and you won’t be required to have an extensive CV for a position. And best of all, these people would be more than enthusiastic about writing references for you.
- Your close circle: You can start by helping your family and friends. If you live abroad or have non-native friends, chances are many of them would gladly accept your help.
- Your community: You can continue asking those around you until you find a suitable student. A friend of a friend might need some coaching; your cousin’s daughter could be looking for an English instructor. There’s someone you know who needs an English tutor.
Try the 24/7 Online English Courses with Voxy!
Voxy offers online English courses for all purposes on one platform and all of the courses are available 24/7 so you can flexibly manage your time.
The 6 Best Countries to Teach English Without A Degree
You can start your English teaching career just fine, without having to worry about a college education. We’ve provided the best six countries to teach English in.
- Cambodia: A beauty is hidden in Southeast Asia; Cambodia is home to free-spirited people eager to learn English. You can have a career in teaching there very quickly as the younger generation has recently become interested in learning the language. Living there would be especially significant due to the low living costs and high salaries.
- Costa Rica: An excellent choice to go with for a career in English education. It’s one of the hottest spots for English teaching in Latin America. It also holds an excellent opportunity to learn Spanish and has a low living cost. It’s especially great for those who want to live abroad and teach English online.
- Spain: Regardless of fluctuations in the global English teaching market, Spain’s market is always prosperous! The Spanish are still eager to learn English, considering it’s the language of business, education, and tourism. There are many English schools in Madrid, Barcelona, Saville, and Valencia.
- Argentina: Located in South America, Argentina holds a massive demand for English teachers.
There are thousands of open positions all over the country and they range from the city to the countryside. You can teach for children or adults, and the hiring season is in the early spring or at the end of summer.
- Mexico: English fluency is in high demand in Mexico; therefore, there’s a need for English teachers throughout the country. There’s a law there that permits English teachers to have high proficiency, regardless of their degree or lack thereof. In this country, many are interested in learning English, children and adults alike.
- Russia: The need for English teachers is so high that you can find a job without a degree reasonably quickly. Moscow and St. Petersburg are two great options for your career in teaching English. It’s also common in Russia to have a language school pay for your visa cost and accommodation, as well as your airfare and transportation.
Long story short, yes, doing a CELTA course doesn’t require a degree at all. All you need to have is diligence and hard work to get to your goal!
Online English Courses for ALL Purposes!
Study English now with qualified teachers which offer English courses for all specializations. In addition, you can study English at anytime and at any place through the Voxy mobile app.